Monday, May 2

busy world

The world is busy.
Bin Laden is dead. Will and Kate got married. Gaddafi's son is killed. Scarlett Johanson is dating Sean Penn. I can't keep up.
What's funny is that even though "Bin Laden Dead" is all over the place, the "Royal Kiss" is just as big, even though it's three days old. I guess it's because love and death are the two things life revolves around.
I mention this because I walk up this morning to a flood of world news, and the only I have to do today was write a blog post. I'm a journalist --or I was a journalist before I decided daily news was too depressing and I developed plane phobia from reporting on so many crashes. But here I am, writing a blog, funnily enough, about love and death. And there is nothing more obscure.
I mean, what the hell do I (or anyone else for that matter) really know about how love works, lasts, breaks, hurts? Yeah so we love, and then we don't; we each have our stories and sometimes it feels like we go through the same thing, but the truth is, every story is its own.
And yes, I've lost quite a few people I love to the "other side" but it hardly makes me an expert. Last year I went through a "I'm afraid of death" phase and I bought about thirteen books on the subject. One's the story about a four year old boy who remembers a previous life (creepy) and another is written by this man who supposedly sees and talks to ghosts (even creepier). I thought it would help if I could get some proof that there is something going on after we go through the (inevitable) expiry date of our bodies. But it confused me even more.
And the truth is, despite everything that happens, the world keeps going. Today Bin Laden is dead and the prince has a fairytale wedding.Tomorrow the headlines will change but the heart of it will be the same. Love and death keeps the world busy. Keeps us all busy. Even though we know nothing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment