Friday, October 19

Beirut, I'm sorry.


Dear Beirut,

I have to admit, I’ve given up on you many a times. I’ve insulted you, I’ve cursed you, I’ve tapped my feet in exasperation against you, I’ve yelled out my window at you, I’ve made fun of you, I’ve been ashamed of you, and I’ve hated you.
Even yesterday, I hated you. But today… what can I say, today?
Today I realize that whether I like it or not, whether I care to admit or not, I am part of you. And what’s worse, is that you, Beirut, are part of me.
Today I walked through the streets of Achrafieh, streets I’ve walked through my whole life. And they were darkened by evil. They were wrapped in smoke, stained with blood, screaming in fear. And I realized as I walked in front of these places where I order my food every other day, watching them sweep the broken glass from their windows just barely an hour after the blast, was that they were the places I knew the most. Because as much I love the streets of New York, Paris or Florence, they are not my streets. Not like the sidewalk where I had my first car accident with my mother 23 years ago. Not like the roads I went to school on every single day, not like the place I had my first kiss or where I smoked my first cigarette or the café where I spent hours and hours hanging out with my friends. Today, it was Achrafieh. The hospital where I was born was filled with more than 50 victims of a vicious crime. The same Achrafieh that just over a month ago, we celebrated with no cars and the most amazing sense of community. Today this Achrafieh, the neighborhood where I have spent most of my life, was blown up to pieces.
And you know what? I was blown to pieces too. Which is incredible because I really truly thought that I was over you. That my heart wouldn’t skip a beat. But I was wrong.
Today, I heard a sound that took me back seven years ago when I was an AUB student and Rafik Hariri was killed just a few hundred meters away from my campus. It took me back to 2006 when our city crumbled under Israeli fire. It took me back to those nights as a child, when the whole family was huddled up in the corridors and we lived by candlelight… And it seems like so long ago that I sometimes wonder if I dreamt it. But I didn’t dream it. I was there. Here. This is where I was born, where I went to school, where I made my friends, where I fell in love, where my mother is buried, where my home is. And even if I hate it, even if I wish I had another passport twenty-times a day, even if it drives me crazy, it’s my city. I’m a Beiruti. I’m an Achrafieh born and bred woman and whatever I am, in some way, has got to be impacted by you Beirut.
And so, I wanted to say that I’m sorry.
I wanted to say that even though I hate you, I love you. Because that’s just the way it is with things we really love. And I wanted to say that I hope, when I see a crowd spontaneously gather with candles to honor their neighbors, that we can get the chance to treat you right. To love you better. To have you always.

Yasmina.

19 comments:

  1. Thank you for this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are describing what I felt.
    I admire it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eloquently put & a feeling I know all too well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words. Thank you for this indeed

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. teared up a little

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this, for reminding us of the city we love to hate and hate to love. This piece of writing is a gem. Thank you, a thousand times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you, i am also from Achrafieh, eventhough i live abroad, i am so sad, this time they target the heart of a "blessed area", our GQ,but we will not give up.
    best regards

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful words, so truthful... thats our sad reality.... what a pity! whats next from here ????

    ReplyDelete
  10. This piece of writing is simply beautiful and moving. I very often reflects on my city as you described it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very touching and well written. I was still not in a state in my life where I can say I'm over Beirut when this happened, although I did struggle to be. But after the way you described your experience, I resign to put it behind me. It's in those hardest moments that we realise and accept how much we are a part of Beirut.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry but I don't agree with what you're hoping for. You want to keep Beirut always, but that should not be our goal. We should work on change, improvement, and awareness. We should not just love Beirut for carrying our memories. We should love it enough to take action.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you know ,i don't blame Jbeil my town,Beirut my capital or Lebanon my country ,i jst blame ourselves,i blame those people that they still dont know how to stand in a queue ,still ask you ""min wein el assel 7adertak, min aya manta2a? "" if your name does not tell them your religious belonging...
    in the old days we used to export culture and knowledge to the world
    haha...really funny, we are now leaders in exporting fanaticism, terrorism,corruption...etc,etc,etc
    Yasmina you are totally right,
    we shld say SORRY to our beloved LEBANON

    ReplyDelete
  14. truly beautiful. thank you for writing what so many are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. we all ache and feel hurt. and we move on.. like each time.. i am amazed at the Lebanese survival instinct. It must be one of a kind...this will be yet another scar that makes us who we are.. more humane maybe? thank you for your post, its honesty was heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your words made me cry. We should always remember: We are Lebanese, FIRST, before Sunni, Shia, Christian, or Druze, Lebanese FIRST, before Hezbollah, FPM, Future, LCP, PSP, LF, etc. WE ARE LEBANESE, ONLY!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what? you haven't written anything new since october? why!!!

    ReplyDelete