Monday, June 6

Beirut, I Love You, I Love You Not

There's a mini-series that's been running on LBC for the last three months, called Beirut I Love You, I Love You Not. It's a show revolving around the lives of five young Lebanese: the good, the bad, the funny, the tragic --you know, life.

I love it because every character has a story we can all relate to. The guy who has a dream but is stuck in his bureaucratic life. The girl whose torn between her new love, and her old love. The guy who made a life for himself from scratch. The mother who wants to live her dreams vicariously through her children. The one who can't let go of his ex. The mom who lives in the past. The hypercondriac who can't find a job and is socially awkward. The dreamer, the lover, the player. There's a little bit of each of them in each of us.

But what I love most about it, is behind the scenes. This isn't a post about a cool TV show you should all watch (though you should) --this isn't that kind of blog. I write about relationships, connections, experience.  And this is all of that. It's become personal.

I've talked about my love for acting before. I've mentioned countless times how my biggest dream was to be an actress, and how it got lost along the way. But these last few months, the dream is back, and it's changed my life. You see, I got lucky enough to get involved because the talented duet who created this series are friends of mine. And their energy and motivation was contagious. I had forgotten what it felt like to be passionate about something. To get up in the morning and be excited about my day. But they reminded me. It's not just the camera, or the acting, or the script, although all of that is great. I wake up at 7am on a Sunday morning because I want to. I rush to the set and I'm excited about everything: putting make-up on the actors, acting when I have a part, helping out with art-direction, and whatever it is I do, it all feels organic. A year ago, I had to drag myself out of bed on any given day, with no sense of purpose and zero excitement. Today I have ideas.

I didn't love Beirut when I came back from New York three years ago. I loved my boyfriend, I loved my family, I loved my friends, yes, always. But I felt like this city was going to rob me from my ambitions. And I let myself believe that for a while. Blamed Beirut for my lack of motivation. It was easier than to look in the mirror and realize that I could do something about it. And then one day, I was inspired. I saw a group of twenty-somethings who took what this city has to offer and turned it to their advantage. Made a dream where there was none. And I realized it wasn't Beirut that was the limit, it was myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment