Tuesday, September 21

Remembering how to write, love and be happy

When I was younger I could write pages and pages without ever blinking. Without second-guessing myself, without turning on the auto-critic. I just did the writing. And the point here is to go back to those roots, or at least try to. I'm trying to write a novel. It's been in the works, cooking up its way through in that little head of mine. And this blog is supposed to help me get back in touch with my inner creativity, that little genius writer that once lived inside me and which I haven't heard from in ages.
This is supposed to start me off, let me write down my inspirations, and let them find their way back to me. Beirut Rhapsodies is a novel. It's the story about women in their twenties, struggling to find their balance between the love they want and the love they have. I am a twenties girl in Beirut, and I am struggling. All my four and a half girlfriends are struggling, and so are all of their friends. And I know it's the same on other continents, because I've been there, and I have friends there too.
Relationships in the 21st century are no longer what they used to be, and we need someone to redefine the term. Our parents' generation is the divorce generation. They're those who were twenty in the 70s, who created the whole concept of rebelling against the system, the peace and love era, the feminists, the hippies. Peace and love led to divorce in the masses, because what they didn't realize when they were fighting for all those [wonderful] things, is that they were forever changing the concepts that defined modern society: marriage and family. Because wives no longer have to keep up with their husband's crap just because standing by your man is the right thing to do --which means no one sticks around anymore. And both men and women expect more from each other than they used to. My grandmother didn't expect my grandfather to love her passionately for sixty years. She expected a father figure for her children, financial support, and company. And she hoped for friendship and respect. My grandfather didn't expect my grandma to look like a bombshell all the way through her fifties, but now, when women like Demi Moore looks the way she does in a bikini, the pressure is on. It was easier to keep the marriage contract --let's just call it what it is-- and it was easier to uphold both ends of the deal.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if these days are gone forever. Not long ago, I re-read old writings of mine and I was flabbergasted by my own style, when I was 14 years old; so clear, limpid, yet extremely sharp and lucid. I feel bitter for having lost that childhood simplicity that used to characterise us. Today my thoughts are complex, sentences are tediously long, wordy, and overpunctuated.
    Children are genuine, adults are analytical. We used to be genuinely spontaneous. Now we break everything down before constructing our words/sentences/thoughts. Looks at us today: even our spontaneity is engineered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree: even spontaneity is engineered. It's hard to believe this is what it comes to as we grow up. There's nothing I wish more than to get my 13 year-old brain back.

    ReplyDelete