Friday, February 24

to eat or not to eat

I've been trying to write a post since yesterday, talking to friends about different topics and trying to put together something for this week, but nothing came together. So now I'm sitting here trying to figure out what would inspire me, what I feel like talking about, what is something that I'm going through. And unsurprisingly, the thing that comes to mind is food. You see I didn't have breakfast this morning because I decided to start a diet and I didn't know what I could eat. So I skipped the food and went straight to work [after my usual cup of coffee of course] and here I find myself sitting at my desk where I have two different diet books, and my two [adorable] colleagues who are such experts I don't even need the books. But I always do that --I see the book, think I'm gonna lose 10 kg just by looking at its cover... and then it sits on my desk for years.

Anyway... This morning I put on my favorite pair of jeans --we all have that one pair that we can wear any day of the year and it'll save us from feeling horribly fat. And what do you know: it almost didn't close. Needless to say I didn't even dare get on the scale [because sometimes you just can't face these things]  and I avoid the full length mirror too [why torture myself?].

I came to work determined that today will really be a good dieting day. Not like yesterday where I started off great, almost broke it at 5pm when hunger pangs screamed for chocolate, and then actually did break it at dinner when I had the choice between a healthy salad and a steak-sandwich and I made the obvious choice.

It's one of our daily struggles, I think, as women, to resist temptation --and make an effort to go to the gym. Ah, the gym. We force ourselves to hit the cardio machine 3 times a week for 45 minutes to burn that fat and when I'm there and I'm looking at all the women around me working it on their treadmill or elliptical machines like there's no tomorrow, and I know all they're thinking is: please let me burn that fat so I can stop coming here. Of course once you leave the gym you feel absolutely amazing and you wonder why it was so hard for you to come in the first place --but it's just as hard the next time.

Food is one of the greatest pleasures we have. In a lot of books (yes, I read some of them) they mention how much over-eating is linked to an emotional imbalance. Already, women are known to be emotional. And when they're PMSing, nothing (or almost nothing) can stop them from devouring that box of chocolate. And when they're pregnant --well now that has made for some pretty crazy/funny cravings stories. And in everyday life, there are countless moments where she is overcome by emotions and her easy, quick-fix-feel-good solution is to eat something --and feel dreadfully guilty about it three seconds later. Everything is an excuse: You didn't get that promotion so you eat a Snickers or two. That guy you met last night hasn't called all day so you're gonna empty that bag of chips. Your boyfriend tells you you gained weight and should hit the gym so you throw a fit and then stick your head in the fridge to see what food is gonna make you feel a little better. And then it makes you feel worse.

Today I decided to be healthy and eat wisely and not let my PMS do the eating. And drinks lots of water. And green tea. And check on those other anti-oxidant something that supposedly help flush the fat away. But today is Friday. There's the weekend, and I'm invited for lunch tomorrow and then am I really gonna spend Saturday night without drinking any alcohol? Maybe if I start Monday, it would be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment