Monday, February 14

my celebration of love

It's Valentine's day. And I write a blog about dating and relationships, so I'm guessing the expectation is for me to write about this celebration-of-love. I could talk about the two different schools of February 14, those who are haters of the "Hallmark Holiday" and those who want the full treatment of flowers, jewelry and candle-light dinner. But everyone writes about that --and no one really cares.

So in stead of coming up with some grand theory about this day, I'm just going to tell you about my valentine. You see, at first glance, you might think someone like me could be depressed on Valentine's day, without a man at my side. But you would be wrong.

Because my Valentine is my friend Jen, who spontaneously asked me to have dinner tonight, just because. It's my friend Jana, who even though lives hundreds of miles away in Montreal, sends me vibes of love three times a day. My Valentine is my friend Mario, who spends hours listening, advising, or just being there whenever I need him. It's my sister, who every year gets me a Valentine's card and every week sends me a text of how much she loves me. It's a new friend who makes me laugh. It's my friend Carlo who cooks me brunch every Sunday. It's that gorgeous boy who kissed me and made me blush. It's my brother who tells me I'm the woman of his life.

You see, I've had the whole traditional, red roses V-day, and in the end, it doesn't mean that much. Last year was non-stop teddy-bears and heart-shaped cookies and candle-light dinner, and today that "Valentine" is a complete stranger. But my real Valentines... they're those who have been here through the years, the ones who could never, ever become strangers, even if I don't see them for years. You know the kind. You have one, maybe five. I have more and I'm lucky.

Valentine's day is a celebration of love... and I have been blessed with so much of it, all I can do is be grateful. And even though I didn't name all of them, all my Valentines know who they are (we don't want anyone to be jealous now...).

And so, like a friend eloquently wrote: "Happy Arbitrary Unit of Time Celebrating a Year-round Human Emotion for the Sole Purpose of Liquidating Flower Stocks." (Nasri Atallah)

1 comment: